Originally Posted by odonata
A panoramic view from a stand on the edge of a bog. Three shooting lanes to choose from but sometimes they come from behind you so you have to keep your head on a swivel.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

A few minutes after taking this selfie, I shot a deer to the left at 156 yards with my .303 British & a 150gr Hornady SP Interlock.

On this morning, any shots taken were going to be short. Could have used iron sights that day.

We have more time & money than brains so sometimes we design stands that are bigger & more over-engineered than they need to be just because we like building stuff. laugh

What would the cost of that be compared to building it out of some kind of metal, either pipe or square tubing? Wood has gone crazy, but so has metal. I ask because metal will last so much longer, can be brought out to location, pulled up after attaching stand in a few minutes. This platform was built in 1982, been moved at least 6 times, 3 boxes on it. Metal seems like a better investment if you’re a young hunter. It will last a lifetime and probably more. It took me 3 or 4 afternoons to build the platform by myself.

That stand was setting where I took the picture, I let it down on trailer, moved it, pulled it it up by myself after I’d cleared juniper out. I was 58 or 59 then, don’t know if I could do it now. It let me be able to see way the hell down the hill, made it a lot more fun to hunt. The area behind green feeder was already clear, deer cross there bigtime. I cleared out to bottom of hill, feeder hanging in oak tree, killed lots of pigs down there.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]picture share

Dead pig walking at bottom of hill. I caught him in pen around the green feeder the day before, but he jumped over the fence. That fence is 3 feet I think, hog panels.

Last edited by hanco; 02/01/23.