Originally Posted by odonata
Originally Posted by hanco
What would the cost of that be compared to building it out of some kind of metal, either pipe or square tubing?

In both the locations I usually hunt, someone else in our group is always making the decisions on what should be built & how. I just show up to provide physical labor and tell them how they're doing it wrong. wink

So I haven't really done a price comparison on the different options yet. At the places I hunt, I've usually pitched in by buying tree stands and various other items while staying out of the long-winded arguments about the bigger permanent stands. Having said that, if I was unilaterally running the show, I probably would have chosen differently. The last time I was hunting hogs in east Texas, I spent several days in a variety of stands with metal bases and was really impressed with them. Based on the way the last wooden stand I was in had a disconcerting lean towards the back, I think your statement that metal is a better investment is spot on & probably the decision I would go with.

Even if you had to pay a welder, just seems better. I’m not much of a wood hand, always likes fooling with metal. Wood ain’t near as sturdy, doesn’t like being moved. I build the angle iron frame, put legs and short braces on it. I made a jig to get legs at correct angle. I pull it up from tree, kick legs around to square it up, put braces on to finish it up. Ain’t much to building it. I’d say faster than wood. I bet it doesn’t weigh near as much.

I built this in 2020 for an east Texas lease I got on. Lease sucked, one buck two does in 3 years, 14 hunters. I took it down, sold to son in law, bought box back, he still has platform. He might sell if someone lives close enough to come get it. Frame has landing, ladder, and handrail. He is in Anderson Texas

I look at it this way. Say it cost me a 500 bucks( round number) this year to build. Two years, 250 a year, ten years be 50 a year, 20 years be 25 bucks a year for something you still have. The frame in post above is 41 years old. Of course being a damn plumber I got material free, even angle iron.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by hanco; 02/01/23.