Originally Posted by hanco
What would the cost of that be compared to building it out of some kind of metal, either pipe or square tubing?

In both the locations I usually hunt, someone else in our group is always making the decisions on what should be built & how. I just show up to provide physical labor and tell them how they're doing it wrong. wink

So I haven't really done a price comparison on the different options yet. At the places I hunt, I've usually pitched in by buying tree stands and various other items while staying out of the long-winded arguments about the bigger permanent stands. Having said that, if I was unilaterally running the show, I probably would have chosen differently. The last time I was hunting hogs in east Texas, I spent several days in a variety of stands with metal bases and was really impressed with them. Based on the way the last wooden stand I was in had a disconcerting lean towards the back, I think your statement that metal is a better investment is spot on & probably the decision I would go with.