Originally Posted by selmer
I have a couple of the Vari X IIc 3-9x40 scopes in gloss finish as well as more modern scopes, including the Burris FFII. For the money, the Burris can't be beat, period. Why do I have the older Leupolds? Because I have never, ever had one lose zero and the two I have are mounted on beautiful rifles from the 1970s with deep bluing and beautiful walnut full monte carlo stocks. The aesthetics of the Leupold beat the Burris FFII hands down. If aesthetics aren't an issue, get the Burris. If you're scoping your dad's rifle and want to keep it looking classy, get the Leupold. smile

That's kinda the way I go too! But also admit to having too many rifles--the oldest a "first year production" Springfield .50-70 "trapdoor", the Allin conversion done in 1866. Of course, it doesn't have a scope--but have plenty of other rifles of various ages I try to scope with "period correct scopes." Bought a pre-'64 Model 70 Featherweight .270 a few months ago that, thought obviously hunted some, was in good and "all original condition, including the front sight hood.

But many of my (and Eileen's) more modern rifles have FFIIs on top....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck