Originally Posted by Obi_Wan
Originally Posted by Bristoe
4" Smith & Wesson Model 30. 90 grain wadcutters over 2.5 grains of Bullseye.
32 S&W Long can be a good choice. Luckygunner.com has done some good testing with this caliber. Very interesting.

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/pocket-pistol-caliber-gel-test-results/#32Long

The Model 30s are made from "modern" steel and the industry standard pressure of the .32 long is a paltry 15,000 psi. Any factory ammo you buy for them is going to be abysmally weak due to the preponderance of ancient break top .32 long revolvers out there made "back in the day". Basically, it's Lawyer ammo.

I've owned a couple of old Smith & Wesson I frame .32 long revolvers from the 20s and I have a Colt Police Positive from 1920. I shoot them with Hornady 90 grain swaged hollow base wadcutters over 2 grains of Bullseye in deference to their age. But I wouldn't be concerned about twisting the ear of a modern Smith & Wesson Model 30. The .32 H&R Magnum (not really a Magnum at all) has an industry standard pressure of 21,000 psi. To put that in perspective, the old .380 ACP has an industry standard rating of 21,500 psi and nobody considers a .380 to be a magnum.

My opinion, a 4" Smith & Wesson model 30 in .32 long could push a 100 grain Hornady XTP at 1000,..even 1100 fps all day long without suffering any ill effects once you've found a propellant slow enough to produce that velocity at reasonable pressure and still burn clean and consistent at that velocity. (AA #5?)

Granted, a 100 grain .312 diameter bullet at 1100 fps isn't a big bear killer. But 1100 fps *should* open up an XTP and give anyone who catches one a very bad day.

Bottom line,..I have no doubt that a Smith & Wesson Model 30 made from premium steel and properly heat treated will have no problem handling as much pressure as a plastic Kel Tec .380.