Jshks: That is an unusual "intention" (intending to deliberately "fry" a barrel!) you are planning.
Its your money and its your "fun" though - let us know how that project goes.
Let me tell you about a "factory" 17 Remington that I was lucky enough to find/buy and have owned for 20 years now.
This 17 Remington is an all factory stock Remington 700 with a 26" heavy stainless barrel on a stainless action with a quality wide forearm Varmint style fiberglass stock.
This Rifle came out shooting like a house on fire from day one!
I rarely shoot it at the range anymore as I intend saving this Rifles wonderful barrel for as long as I can to Varmint Hunt with.
I intentionally only tested the Rifle on dead calm days when doing load development and later for sight-in verification.
My loading log book shows the last two five shot groups at 100 yards were .241" and .196" respectively - these two groups shot in different years.
I have a silver Leupold 6.5x20 variable scope on this rig and again, use it on special occasions only.
I do not have any "custom barreled" 17 Remingtons but I do have a Shilen heavy stainless barreled custom Remington 700 in 17 MachIV to compare with and both Rifles prefer the Berger 25 grain H/P bullets. The last sight in verification group (5 shots at 100 yards) with the 17 MachIV measured .264".
My point being the RARE Remington all factory 700 VSS I have shoots right along side (if not better?) than my Shilen custom barreled Rifle. And this "factory" 17 Remington does EVERYTHING I need done!
I have been so happy with my "factory" Remington 700 VSS in 17 Remington that I have been trying to find another for the last 20 years - no luck to date.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy