The particular 17 Remington barrel mentioned above to fry, don’t fret over it. I knowingly bought it as a problem child. It is rough but shoots fairly decent for about 20 rounds, then it’s done till throughly cleaned. It was cheap, cost was less than a pound of powder and two boxes of 15.5’s.

I am not usually involved in such antics, but I want to know how well the 15.5’s work at distance.

Got the chance last week for a few days. Not enough “participants” to fry it, so all is well. 12 rounds were shot over about 30 minutes. One adult and the rest were pups.
The adult was not as bad as a 25 Vmax or HP, or a 40 grain from a 223. We were all surprised.
The pups were a bit different, but little difference of the 20’s out of a fireball at 3900.
Came to the conclusion they are better served from a smaller 17.

Oddly on a different note, 6CM with 87 max factory ammo was not nearly as spectacular as we would have liked. Almost needled through on dogs we went and looked at.

I will stick to my initial intentions with the 17 Remington and 17 Fireball, 25 and 30’s in the big case a d 20’s in the small.