I've had excellent performance with the 6.5CM on a Barren Ground caribou - one shot at 375 lasered yards using a 143 gr. ELDX. The bull went straight down and never moved. Yes I have a witness. The bullet weighed 107 grains found on the offside.
Next was a cow elk at 135 yards with another 143gr ELDX after a snowshoe stalk in 10* temperature. No recovered bullet. Last was a 5x5 bull elk with a Norma factory 140 gr round - cup and core bullet. One shot - a little wobbly, a few stutter steps and crashed down. An offside hide recovered bullet weighed 113 grains. I've taken 20 previous elk using a 338WM, 300WM, 300WSM, 30-06, 30Win. and a .270 Win.. Nearing the end of my hunting career, I can no longer manage the recoil of the "magnums". The persistent statement about bullet placement vs. headstamp is very true.
The list of well knowns from Sheldon et. al. using the 6.5x55 is a testament to the capability of the 6.5's.'The 6.5CM is easy to load for in a Kimber Montana and a Kimber Mt. Ascent. Oh and the Tikka T3x is no slouch either.

I should add if the 6.5CM didn't exist, I'd be carrying a Kimber Montana in 308 WIn..

Last edited by bigwhoop; 05/28/23.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.