Do yourself a favor and skip the tourist attractions, unless you love people. All the gurgling pots and geysers are cool and all, but the North part of the park is where it's at. If you are coming from the East, go to Cody and take 296 to 212 through the Northeast entrance. The Norris to Canyon Village to Mammoth loop is worth it. I avoid anything South of there as all it has is people. Several road projects going on in the park that will add even more delays than normal.

Been several times in May, once in June, and once in October. My advice is avoid the park from mid May to mid September, unless of course you love lots of people and traffic jams.

4th of July??? No way.

We do a family vacation in Pray or Emigrant North of the park most years in a house on the Yellowstone. We spend most of our time in the NF in MT hiking trails and mostly being alone, as well as having our own section of the Yellowstone to fish. We go to the Park once or twice, but spend most of the time in MT.

Was in the Park earlier this week and saw several grizzlies with cubs, several black bear, many elk, and a couple thousand bison. Didn't spend much time there, but my son-in-law went a few times to fish as the Yellowstone was too high and had quite a bit of luck.

If you want to see sheep, takes a little more homework and effort unless you just get lucky. Goats can been seen, but not up close easily.

And as far as staying in or near Gardiner, I'm sure there are some nice people living there, but it's a tourist trap. Way over priced for anything to buy or eat. Even the grocery store is ridiculous. As I said, we stay in Pray or Emigrant and get groceries in Livingston. There is nothing in Gardiner I need at the prices they are selling.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.