Originally Posted by JoeMartin
Take this as you may. When bear started showing up on my property I ask the DNR agent local to me what I should use if I get a tag. He said they go down easy, what ever you use for deer, as long as you are a decent shot. If you can’t hit the broad side of a barn, nothing is good. If I got a tag it would be for close woods hunting from a stand. Since I shoot close deer and pigs in the eye, I would probably stick with my 250R. But, to keep from having people calling me stupid in public, I may use my F in 303 with 190 Silvertips, because that’s all I have for it. If presented the shot, shoot it in the eye.

Not to be a smart azz Joe but what makes a WV DNR agent an expert on what rifle you should use to kill a bear?

Probably never shot one or even shot at one in his life. DNR guys work during hunting season.

And if you shoot them in the eye might as well use the HP on bears. They work great on tigers....

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~