Originally Posted by ROMAC
This early thread deserves a conclusion.

In the end I took a Savage 99 in .300 savage and a 12-gauge Benelli Super Black Eagle dedicated slug gun.

The night before at orientation, my outfitter said that if he had a choice, he'd take the Benelli, since it had a Zeiss scope on it and the sabot slugs I use are Winchester Partition Gold's that send a 385-grain 50 caliber partition slug down the barrel at 1,900 FPS. (this outclasses a most of 45-70 loads available). I'm sure the 180 grain Remington Core Lokt bullets would have been ok from the 99 but he said every year guys lose bears due to the lack of sign after the hit, so I took his advice.

I got a complete pass-through and the almost 300 lb. dry sow piled up in about 20 yards. This picture shows the exit side.

The slugs sure did the job and then some, but I keep wishing I used the 99.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

If you are happy with the outcome we should all be happy for you. Glad you got your bear.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~