I thought I'd stir the pot some more and post this chart of the Taylor Knock Out Value of different loads that I found. I did the calculator for the Winchester Partition Gold sabots I was using and got 52.25 more than double the KO value of a 30-06 which the chart shows totals 20 and well above even a .375 H&H magnum at 38.8.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

The web site had this to say:

"The "Taylor Knock Out Index" was developed by John Taylor. John Talyor was an extremely experienced African hunter. His formula was based on killing thousands of large game animals with nearly any caliber you can imagine. This formula was designed to give you a relative momentum figure adjusted for bullet diameter. Taylor called it a "power yardstick" for African rifles. The higher the number the better. For example the 44 Magnum handgun, which most handgunners consider an acceptable hunting caliber with its standard 240 grain load at 1400 fps with a 0.429 diameter bullet gets a Taylor KO of 20 (try that above). A fairly typical 454 Casull 300 grain handgun load gets a Taylor KO of 30. A standard 12 gauge shotgun slug load gets a Taylor KO of 53."

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark