Originally Posted by anothergun
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by anothergun
One load with 7828 wasn't good.. 86 grains barnes 150 TTSX 1-1/4 inches at 100
Best groups were RL 25 and H4831. 82 of 4831 w/ 168 TTSX 3/4's at 100, 82 of 25 w/ 200 PT..1/2 inch at 100, 72 of IMR 4350 w/180 SST 1 inch at 100. Got rid of 25 and 7828 and H1000, I know.. why !?? Got mag pro thinking it would be better.

I say this much the hot loads, max charges are the best, no matter what powder. I guy I used to hand with said his buddy ran his barrel hot getting mad because it wouldn't group, .338 Win Mag. The hotter the barrel got the better it shot.

Ok so I'm ok with just FL sizing. What bullet shines with any powder you guys loaded with any powder ?

Don’t get too caught up on groups. A 1 1/4 inch 100 yard group is 6 inches at 500 yards. Remember you aren’t shooting bench rest here, you are shooting elk. 6 inches may sound like a lot, but the truth is, you are still only 3 inches from point of aim and that should keep you in the kill zone of an elk.

You don’t need a 1/2 inch group to kill elk…

I don't need tight groups but it keeps me busy between seasons. Just like to see what the rifle is capable of that's all. I only hunt deer, no elk for me. I could do a lottery in PA but I can't justify paying for years just to kill an elk. Although there are some really nice ones up where I go.

anothergun, the 300WBY has elk written all over it!!! The cartridge itself was one of Roy's ultimate designs, as far as I'm concerned. It's the cartridge that forced me into handloading though. Couldn't afford to shoot the rifle I bought because factory ammo was so damn expensive. Learning real quick why I got such a great deal on the rifle at the time!! I burned the barrel out on that sporterized m1917, and used Nosler 180gr ballistic tips to do it too. 84 grains of 7828 was the sweet spot.

Now, shrap is right. These are not benchrest guns. However, most of mine have shot less than 1" off the bench, some closer to 1/2", or off a pack. My spare 300WBY shoots like this:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Lighter bullet using H4831 powder^^ This is a nice shooting load. Mild if you want to call it that.

One thing shrap hits the nail on the head about is your POI/POA. IF you can keep your bullets 3" from POA at 500 yards, that is another question all together. With his example of a 1 1/4" group, that is no guarantee that those bullets are going to even be a 6" group or be 3" from where you are aiming. Especially in the wind. That largely depends on how your rifle is set up, if you have it zeroed properly, and whether you can use it that well. I've seen it so many times at the local range, that I can't even count. Generally guys shooting 300wm, 338 lapua magnums and the like. Some can't even consistently keep their shots on my favorite steel coyote at 400 yards. Let's put it this way: I'd not take them deer or elk hunting with me.

I remember last year, shooting my spare 300wby and doing a side by side comparison with a measly AR15 I have. Set up some targets at 400 yards, and was appalled by how I shot with the magnum. Generally shooting standard cartridges better, I'll admit.
You'll notice, both rifles are scoped the same^^

300wby:

Measly AR15. Rogue Defense with old Bushmaster HBAR:

That's another 7 pound Winchester model 70 of mine.
The group is not great, but any of those bullets (from the 300wby) would have made elk steaks that day..

Also, as a side note to the 175 LRX load I worked up in my pre 64 model 70, I also shoot it in the newer XTR in the pacific research stock (shown above). In that rifle, it shoots 1 moa out to 400 yards:

So to answer the OP's question about magic bullets and powder. That load is proven in both of my 300WBY rifles. I wanted to try that LRX out on an elk, but did not get the chance to. Last day of the hunt I was packing my Tikka T3x 7mm-08 and shot a spike bull with a 140gr TTSX, as luck would have it!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA