Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by anothergun
BSA1917

I was always under the impression the tighter at 100 the better, and spreads out father down range. Even with a tight group under an inch, spreads like your 400 yard group ? I shot tight groups with the .270 WCF and it only open to inch or inch and a quarter at 300.

There are all sorts of experts that make claims of what a rifle and bullets will always do. The more I see of these claims, the less I believe them. Guys like Bryan Litz make assertions that become gospel, yet I have personally witnessed results that don’t follow his narrative.

Almost everyone will calculate a group by multiplying the group size at 100 yards by how many yards past 100. That may be mostly true, but I have guns and have seen others that don’t necessarily follow that model. That is, I have seen guns that were around 1 inch at 100 yards and shoot better than the cone theory , and actually shoot better at distance.

I know it’s not fashionable to argue the industry standards, but I don’t care and continue to shoot better than some of the cone concept of bullet performance…

some people argue that with bullets stabilizing better they will shoot better at distance and close I don't know that I've ever bought into that entirely. but sometimes I'm going to say many times if you're shooting better at distance than close up it's probably a parallax issue