Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by anothergun
BSA1917

I was always under the impression the tighter at 100 the better, and spreads out father down range. Even with a tight group under an inch, spreads like your 400 yard group ? I shot tight groups with the .270 WCF and it only open to inch or inch and a quarter at 300.

There are all sorts of experts that make claims of what a rifle and bullets will always do. The more I see of these claims, the less I believe them. Guys like Bryan Litz make assertions that become gospel, yet I have personally witnessed results that don’t follow his narrative.

Almost everyone will calculate a group by multiplying the group size at 100 yards by how many yards past 100. That may be mostly true, but I have guns and have seen others that don’t necessarily follow that model. That is, I have seen guns that were around 1 inch at 100 yards and shoot better than the cone theory , and actually shoot better at distance.

I know it’s not fashionable to argue the industry standards, but I don’t care and continue to shoot better than some of the cone concept of bullet performance…

I can go along with that... and article I just read about a guy who tests loads at 400 yards, so yeah, I get that.