Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
What age did that happen for you Dwayne?

Becoming spiritually and mentally ready to die?

My folks have been that way for a long time...both now just about 80 years old.

Scares me to death...the thought of my folks' and my own mortality.

Is there a difference between being ready and giving up?

I have hauled a lot of old people to the ER who said similar things about being ready to die....but they sure as hell weren't ready while in the back of that ambulance!

Jim;
Top of the morning, I hope life is good down in your part of the world just north of where my late Mom was born and raised.

You do ask some tough questions sir, well done - I'd love to have a coffee with you someday for sure.

I would say that it came the first time in my mid '20's when we'd gone through a fair bit already early in our married lives and I had a few things figured out spiritually.

Importantly though Jim, this was before the girls were born.

When they came into our lives, while my spiritual readiness didn't wane, I was much more in a "protector/parental" mode and mentally wanted to be there to see them get a good foundation in life. Sort of lined out and moving in a positive direction, I suppose.

Now that they're both established enough to make it on their own, the mental readiness has returned.

Saying all that Jim, I'm in a unique place where I've experienced things that science cannot explain, was blessed enough to be able to make sense of it within my head and heart and that laid a foundation for the mental and spiritual readiness.

There is a giant chasm - for me Jim - between being ready and giving up.

When I alluded to dying well, it had absolutely nothing to do with giving up anything really.

For me it's an inner resolve to do whatever is required of me, short of losing my soul of course, but otherwise being mentally ready to go down whatever path I'm asked to go.

Lastly Jim and once more I'm not attempting to convert you or anyone to the way I believe here, but if I am a servant of an omnipotent God, then there is a peace knowing I'm truly not in control of much beyond my own actions.

In that light then Jim, no - giving up isn't what I believe I'm supposed to do.

Hope that made some sense sir?

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"