Originally Posted by Crash_Pad
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
The soft people will die, along with a lot of hard people.

Boomers seem to gleefully look forward to the end of humanity, because obviously the world couldn't exist without them (the most selfish generation in American history). Societal collapse won't be cool or sexy. It's going to be horrific and tribal.

What utter bullshit! Sure we boomers enjoyed the pinnacle of being an American after WWII left the rest of the civilized world in ruin. Our parents also benefited greatly in the prime of their lives after growing up poor, like everybody else, eating organic food grown locally, as that was all there was and doctors were for emergency only. Working hard and being frugal was the only way to make ends meet. There were no "benefits" at all. Major Medical was for the very few corporate types, but nobody went bankrupt from hospitalization like today. The busy body Nanny State hadn't morphed into the neurotic goddess of uber control over every aspect of normal life, and taxed the hell out of what it couldn't regulate with fees and inspections. FDR's commie agencies spawned ever more irritating lice in Alphabet fiefdoms with too much power. And Eisenhower's Interstate System assured total consolidation of trade in the hands of super capitalists that could now "serve" Podunk to Weehaken with big ass trucks that hadn't yet been invented, turning America into ghost towns between giant LogoLand look alike hives of banal inanity. Yeah, so we were super damn selfish working summers and holidays or after classes to pay for college because that was supposed to get you better jobs and improve your life. It did too. We didn't owe a dime when we got out, sold our books back for half price if we wanted and saved money from then on, still based on gold until '71, that held its value well enough to make major purchases like a car or home. Then LBJ tried to kill us all in Vietnam to repay his buddies for smoking JFK. We were selfish [bleep] alright. You dumb fugd punks are too young and angry with your marshmallow education and [bleep] culture to realize the loss of great cities, vibrant small towns, flourishing farms - a whole world full of clean cut, neatly dressed, respectful people humbly proud of their ability and opportunity to live better than anyone in history. You whinny little pricks missed out on the best of everything. No wonder you're so jealous.

I have to say, I like this post. As I sit here in my leather recliner, I am tough! I'm also old enough that it doesn't matter too much anymore. As a certified Boomer, I sometimes feel almost guilty about the easy living we have today. On the other hand, I've worked for sixty years to get here, and I'm still working.
I know a couple of young guys I would have considered to be marshmallow soft. Nonetheless, they have both gone to work at real, productive, jobs, and are paying their own way. If given the chance, a lot of soft people can turn a corner and toughen up to a surprising extent. GD