Yes, the safety is very difficult to operate with a scope mounted. One thing that can be done to eliminate the problem is to replace the trigger with an aftermarket trigger that has an integral safety. I have seen this done on other Ariskas. With this modification, one can leave the original safety in the FIRE position and rely on the trigger safety.

If no scope is mounted, the original safety is not nearly as difficult to operate because one can get at it with the heel of the hand. Operating the safety involves manually compressing the striker spring by pushing the safety knob toward the muzzle and rotating the safety knob (can't remember if CW is safe or CCW). With a little practice, it is not too difficult.

But one has to wonder if the results of modifying an old Arisaka is worth all the work and expense. Every time I see a modified Arisaka, I wonder why it was chosen over a Mauser or some other surplus rifle. My guess is that was the least costly alternative at the time, or possibly for sentimental reasons. OTOH, my Arisaka 38 is very smooth-operating and reliable, even though it is a cock-on-closing design, and by all accounts the action is very strong. And the 6.5x50 is certainly a capable deer hunting round.

It's all good.

-

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.