We have always left the hide one elk and deer. Never any spoiled or ruined meat. I guess it depends on how cold it is getting during the night. I have shot a few elk in september that I skinned but the nights were still in the 40's and 50's. In oct and later the skin stays on them till we cut them up.

I admit they are easier to skin if you do it right away but I never have too much trouble.

We always let our animals "age" as long as possible but sometimes we have to cut them up right away as the temperature isn't allowing much hanging time.

On the few I have skinned right away the outside gets a crust of dried meat. Some times pretty thick if the temp is fairly warm, not good for backstraps. If you are skinning the animal I hope you cut out the backstraps when you are done. When you peel the hide off a elk that has been hanging for a few weeks the meat underneath looks perfect.

Never heard of splitting the hams Dancing Bear, so I guess if it's working for you keep on it. smile Do the cuts you make in the meat ever get fly blown?

I argree with you guys saying you have to take care of the animal right away. I get it gutted ASAP then get it home. If I have to leave it on the mountain for the night, I get it's back up off the ground, on some sticks or rocks then prop the ribs open. Cover it with some pine boughs and be back there first thing in the morning to get it. The only thing I do when I get the elk home and hung up is cut the inside tenderloins out and take them in the house. They dry out pretty fast if left on the carcass for very long.

I am not saying it's the right way, just the way we do it here.