+2

Also as an old meat cutter at a game processing plant, I would like to add that cooling them is very important, as you all know, but I also agree that the meat under the hide is sterile before you take the hide off as well. I always thought that the very best way to cool game was with a garden hose, if you can get to one. Cold water will cool things faster than air and wash blood, hair, and gut juice away at the same time. I know that in some areas a hose isn't handy, but if one can be reached in a few hours, it is just the ticket. Of course this is followed by air cooling, and making sure air circulates, but without measuring, I'll bet 90% of the cooling is done after this much cold water.

A creek will work very well for quarters too, but of course isn't sterile. I usually hunt where I wouldn't be too concerned about drinking the water in a creek--even though I don't, but I'm sure it is cleaner than the fly poop and gut juice that may be there already or will be there soon after the skin is removed. It can be removed, but you've just tripled or more the amount of work that finishing you meat will require, and reduced the amount that gets saved.

Also once the meat is exposed to the air a "rind" of dried out meat starts to form around the fresh meat. If your going to finish the processing right away, it's minor, but if it's going to be a few days of more, it's like jerky around your steaks. The air that dries it up also has dust and germs in it.

I think the best thing you can do (hunting in a few hours of home or a friend's home) is as soon as one person kills an animal, get it gutted, pelvis split, leave the hide on (especially if there is much dragging or packing to be done) get it in the truck and head for the hose. Hose it for an hour or more, it'll be really clean by then. Make sure to get lots of water over the rounds and shoulders too--don't just keep washing the body cavity. Then worry about the other tags that your buddy needs to fill. (better yet, have someone at home hosing, while the guys go back out--if you know what I mean wink ).

When the hunting is done, or in a day or two, go ahead and skin them where you hung them and the hose still reaches, and wash them plenty again when skinned. They're ready for the butcher block.

This info is for cool Wyoming weather, or for those that have coolers to hang animals in, and for those that didn't pack way into the wilderness. It's probably not right for those in Texas, Arizona, and places that aren't frosty at night, or snowy, when it's time to go hunting.

Too many people buy stuff they don't want, with money they don't have, to impress people they don't like!