Originally Posted by kallen

The problem that I see is cutting through the skin and hair, the knife getting contaminated, and hair getting into everything. We have felt that the hide isn't the most sanitary thing and getting it off the animal is important.

Maybe, like some said...it's tradition?

Personally I feel the less you cut on a critter the less chance you have to contaminate the meat. Bacteria isn't going to penitrate through the hide. Also when you skin it there is no way you're not going to cross contaminate between the meat chunks you're cutting off and the hide which your removed. The dirt, hair and junk will be all over your cloths, hands, knives, etc. You can be as careful as you want, but it will in no way be as clean as if I skin/cut it in the shop in a controled environment. When gutted and opened up, the only part of the animal that can get contaminated is the cavity and a the inside portion of the hams which dry up anyway.

I cut meat commercially for 2 years, and have done my own for 20, I'd say over 50% of the time the meat that came in 'boned out' was filthy compared to the whole animals or the quarterd/hide on critters. Some had more dirt and hair than meat, and not one ended up with as much finished product.

I much perfer to have a clean working area once the meat cutting starts.

People worry way to much about this stuff. Elk don't spoil on the spot, and blue/wood rifles don't melt in the rain...

The cold rock next to the stream is a great tip.