The last few elk I have killed I have used the 'no gut method'. With this I leave the hide on the quarters, similar to stated above by JB, I cut the quarters off and get them off the ground ASAP. If there's a tree nearby, I'll saw off a limb and hang them up. If not I lay the quarters over a log or in the brush - just off the ground. The last 2 years I have taken bulls while bowhunting both on Sept. 7, both in the evening and both by myself. Used the method described above, took the loins, rib meat, neck meat, etc. in a bag on first trip then hauled the rest out via backback over the next day, into a cooler w/ ice and then finished skinning the quarters some 48 hours later at home. This has been the best method for me to keep the meat clean and bug free. I have not had any issues with spoilage. Another thing that works quite well on a hot day is to lay the quarters on a tarp in a creek bed, not in the water but in the shade alongside the creek. The water in mountain creeks is very cold and the rocks will suck the heat right out of the quarters and keep them refrigerated until you can get to a cooler.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope