Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Originally Posted by jds44
Why are you insistent on trying to turn a sow's ear into a silk purse? The SGK isn't a great game bullet. You've seen core seperation in your own testing. The .358 is certainly not a good cartridge for shooting out to nearly 400 yards. Do you really need to be different that badly?

Get a good tool for the job. A .260, 7-08, or .308 with good bullets will do anything the .358 will do and so much more.

jds,

It's not "just to be different", it's to use what's BEST for me, based on my experiences in the field. That's the .358.

Using the B&C reticle on my .358, I can hit just as consistantly at 375 yards as I can with anything else, which is to say pretty much every time. So it is an equally good tool at that range, compared to a 7-08 (or whatever). I think a .35 caliber, 225-gn bullet at 1800 fps is gonna leave a mark! grin

As to the Sierra... well... the stubborn person in me just didn't want to think that there could BE a problem with a 225-gn bullet, .35 caliber, on a deer. That's a lot of bullet, and a lightly put-together animal. The core-jacket seperation doesn't really bug me (for deer) but the failure to expand surely does.

What size deer are we discussing? There are "deer" and then there are "DEER"! Moose are deer and the Northern whitetail is deer. A mature Northern whitetail buck can easily go between 300 to 400 lbs! If we are discussing some Texas whitetail that have heavier racks than body weight, that's another matter entirely!

I'm also a big fan of 35s. I load for my son's 356 Win. Of course, it shoots FPs or RNs only. I've found that AA2015 is far-and-away the best powder for the 250-gr Hornady RN or 240-gr hardcast. My second powder of choice is WW748. 2015 has a lot of energy and 748 gives more powder room. H4895 is a great powder for certain applications but I found it never gave the MV of 2015 or RL-15 in my Whelen or 350 Rems.

Aside from that, I believe the Sierra will work as it should and the Partition MAY expand better at 375 yds but I wouldn't count on it at 1800 fps. I've used Partitions and Sierras and they each will work on "deer" but there are just too many variables to come to exact conclusions. The only way to become an "expert" is to try them. I'd try the Sierra just to discover the variable "truth". Everyone "knows" what a Partition will do. ;)Really???

Last edited by CZ550; 07/26/08.

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus