Well, I put down a total of 14 animals this year, all of which I cut and wrapped myself. (I consider the meat cutting part of the hunting process and have only had a few animals commercially processed over the years all due to warm weather considerations.)I've been doing this for twenty years or so and average about 10 animals a years.

The above statement was so you would realize that I have some experience in processing wild game and I'm not just BSing.

Paper wrap on cut meat: I'm just not very good at it and so despite years of struggle and practice I went to vaccume sealing all my cut meat.I found that it was quicker for me to vaccume seal the meat. I also cook all my wild game as roasts or stews, as such I leave the meat in as large a piece as possible and this is generally irregular in shape and difficult to wrap without air gaps. I have friends that also process their own and wrap the meat and have mixed success with wrap. Tecnique seems to be everything.

Paper wrap in ground meat: I grind and make my own sausage. I wrap the one pound meat balls in plastic wrap and then wrap them in coated paper. This has prevented freezer burn even after several years in some cases. I think with ground meat you are able to get an air tight fit with the plastic and if you use good technique with the paper you have a very tough, air tight little package.

The wrapping technique that I use for ground meat and my friends use for all their cuts is the one on the back of the Reynolds butcher paper wrap box. In short, roll the paper down tight, and fold the remaining ends tight and tape. I've seen other folding patterns and tried a few but the one on the package seems to work the best. (Though not as good as vaccume sealing for irregular cuts.)