I appear to be in the minority here, because I find vacuum sealing meat and fish to be much easier and faster than wrapping it. I generally get at least two uses out of each bag, sometimes three -- on game meat. Fish taints the bags and they can't be cleaned to suit me, so fish bags only get one use. I don't mind the cost of the bags, because I like the result so much. I have eaten meat as old as six years without a problem.

I bought my Tilia Foodsaver Pro at Cabela's in 1992 -- when that could only mean I had gone to Sidney. Nebraska grin. I have run several truckloads of game and birds and boatloads of salmon, halibut and rockfish through it since then, and it's still working fine. Foodsavers were made in Italy in those days; they are made in China now. If you want the original Italian-made vacuum sealer -- buy a Vac-Magic, sources for which you can find with an Internet search. The Italians know a thing or two about food, and their food-handling equipment is among the best in the world.

My wife prefers upright freezers; I prefer chest freezers. So we have one of each grin. The fish and game lives in mine.

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."