Finally got the RL-17. Rifle: sporter 284 win with a 23" barrel. Seated the moly coated Hornady 162 A-max into rifling for first test.

Old top load was 54 grs of H4350 for a velocity of 2900 fps.

Temperature today was 60 degrees. Worked up from 53 grs in one gr increments to 58 with no pressure. The powder was heavily compressed with 58 grs. Velocity was 3110 showing on my CED Millenium chronograph. That is a whomping 210 fps difference! Went up to 59 grs and one case of four showed a slight extractor mark but no extraction issue. I backed down to 58 for now, would undoubtedly lower it for warmer weather. Next will be trying to refine the load with seating depth changes.

In the article I linked earlier, it was stated that RL-17 is somewhere between 4350 and 4831. Based on my extensive loading of the 284, for over 25 yrs, this powder "acts" slower than 4350 that much is certain. I would love to see the actual pressure curve. The comment on that article says: Reloader 17's unique penetrating burn-rate regulator smooths out the pressure curve, allowing RL17 to maintain high energy for a longer period of time." I am now a believer.

I intend to try a few hunting bullets next. Using moly may cause a bullet lighter than 150 gr to run a bit slower as the case would run out of powder space before it maxed out. It might be just the powder to run bullets as light as 140 grs without moly.

Next will be trying the 140 TSX and the 150 Nosler BT. Will report back when I get around to more testing.