Coal of 284 with 162 A-max is 3.073". The mag box was lengthened so it barely fits but does feed. The reamer was what my gunsmith has on hand.

When this barrel goes south or I can't stand it anymore. I will be buying a Lilja SS and have it cut to 26". I'll have Dave Kiff (Pacific Tool and Gauge) make a 284 reamer to my specs with the throat a bit closer so the 168 VLD and 162 A-max fit with some leeway. Based on what I have seen with a custom reamer for the 257, 22-250 AI and 7 RUM, Dave designs the throat angle a tiny bit differently than usual for the VLD style bullets and it works. I am having fits making this A-max shoot accurately( under 3/4") but I am certain it is the design of the chamber reamer. This rifle shoots nice clusters with the TSX and other hunting bullets.

PRM: For grins I tried some RL-17 in a 358 with a 20" barrel. With a case full and compressed, the 225 gr bullet was 100 fps behind a load using RL-15. The 338 version might do slightly better especially if it has a longer barrel. Check out this link and go to the bottom to see some comparisons of other cartridges.

Edited..here is link http://www.6mmbr.com/reloder17.html

Last edited by Azshooter; 01/11/09.