Originally Posted by cole_k
Originally Posted by Dan360
Originally Posted by cole_k
Originally Posted by Dan360
Obsolete is: no one really chambers this cartridge anymore because something else has come along that is easier to deal with and performs just as well if-not-better. Kinda like the 7x57 Mauser or 7mm STW or 300 H&H.

Dan,
Ruger is still chambering the .257 Roberts, 6.5x55, 7x57, and .300 H&H.
Savage is also still Chambering the .250 Savage and the .300 Savage.
CZ 500 in the 6.5x55 and 9.3x62 can also be bought here in the US.

Yeah, the 257, 6.5x55, 7x57 and 300 H&H are available in some rifles. And mostly in special runs at that. I had to look a long time before I even found a Ruger No. 1A in 7x57. Of the four cartridges, the 257 Bob is probably the most available and if you don't want a Ruger M77 or Kimber 84M, you're SOL.

If they aren't chambered in nearly EVERY MAJOR factory offering, you gotta wonder. I think the only reason the 257 Bob hangs on is that the 25 Souper isn't a factory cartridge. If it were, there goes the Bob. Even the 243 has nearly eliminated the bob in that niche even though its in a different bore size.

I'm not saying that obsolete cartridges aren't cool. This thread is to demonstrate how cool they are. Not to say they should go the way of the dodo. But they have been rendered obsolete by more efficient and practical designs.

You won't see me giving up my 7x57 any time soon. Not even for a 7mm-08!

Dan,
Ruger has been chambering M77's in .257 Roberts and 7x57 for years. Ruger is chambering the M77 RSI in the 6.5x55 as a special run. Ruger is chambering the M77 Frontier Rifle in the .358 Win and they have been cataloging this for several years. Ruger is also chambering the the M77 Hawkeye in the .257 Roberts, .264 Win. Mag., .35 Whelen, and .358 Win. These last four are not special runs. The .257 Roberts is also chambered in the Hawkeye UL. In the No. 1-A Light Sporters and the No. 1 RSI they are chambering 7x57 as a standard item. This year they are offering the 300 H&H in a No. 1-A Medium Sporter as a special runs and the 9.3x74R.

As I understand it if Ruger Distributor will order at least 250 rifles of any model and chambering Ruger will make a limited run.

Also as I understand it if the U.S. CZ Distributor will order at least 10 rifles of any model and chambering CZ makes and will ship the to the U.S

So what if "they aren't chambered in nearly EVERY MAJOR factory offering", at least they are offered in some. Therefore they are not obsolete. They are retro-cartridges.

I understand what you are saying, but the lack of available rifles renders a lot of these calibers obscure to your average hunter. Why have a Ruger Hawkeye in 264 Win Mag when you can have a 7mm Rem Mag in almost any rifle you want? Both are based around roughly the same case and perform in a similar way, with the 7mm being more versatile. See what I mean? There is a reason that many companies have dropped these cartridges as offerings. Why have a full-length action in a 300 H&H when you can have a 30-06 length action chambered in 300 Win Mag?

I think that most rifle loonies, myself included could answer those questions because we love certain cartridges and rifles. On the other hand, many hunters buy a "huntin' rifle" to do all of their hunting. Most of those guys don't care about the history of the 300 H&H or 7x57. Most don't care about what a 264 Win Mag can do with a 26 inch barrel. I'd bet good money that most just want a rifle to hunt with that they like. I'd also bet good money that they want something chambered in a cartridge that they can buy at any sporting goods store.