Originally Posted by El_Numero_Uno
I would offer the opinion that the No.3 was a .375 Winchester and not a .375 H&H, unless it was aftermarket rechambered.

ENU,

That was exactly my inital thoughts on the subject. smile I have owned 2 or 3 No: 3's in .375 Win. and still have one. Also have 200th yr. No: 3 in .30-40 Krag. I've never seen a #1 in .30-40... But with Ruger, you never know... I've learned to never say never. smile

I have also handled a couple of No: 1's in .222 Rem. One was an AB and the other a "B". Likely both were pre 1970 models, thus they didn't have the Alphabetical nomenclature at that time.

I have also handled a No: 1-AB in .308 Win. Seller offered it to me for $450. I didn't have that much cash on me at the time. I called him about 3 days later and told him I'd take it for $450. He responded: "I told you $550!" I was so upset that I passed on the deal. frown About 3 mos. later the seller passed away. I never did find out what happened to all his guns. frown But I sure wish I had taken that .308 frown I don't think I looked at the serial # at the time. But I suspect that it was also pre-prefix. OH well! We all remember the good ones that got away. Of all the No: 1's I've looked at over the years, I have only seen less than a half-dozen of the pre-prefixed ones. Sadly, I never realized how collectable they were until fairly recently.

We live and learn, and I'm a slow learner.... frown

Grasshopper

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"