I guided in one of the best big bear areas on earth for a long long time. Sitka has nailed the definition of scoring as well as anyone regarding the squared size. I have a 7'10" bear rug in my home and many of the visitors to this site have seen it including if I rememeber right BW who started this post.

I have seen 4-5 bigger then this one, and one was measured here by a master scorer for B&C in his Taxidermy shop on the rug table. It was just over 8 foot square after made in to a rug. Raw it was measured a bit bigger when freshly skinned.

The one feeding on hogs in NC killed by Dolly Pardons kin is a true stroy as I still have the original hunting magazine story. Funny thing about those folks and records though. I was working as the editior of bear hunting magazien at the time and interviewed the guy who was on the hunt. I asked him what the skull measured and he said 38 inches. I asked how he measured it to get 38"? he said it was 38" around before we skinned it.

Wow now that's a new unbelievable low in trophy scoring technique! Who the heck scores a bear skull by measuring circumfrence, much less before skinning!!!! Oh they also shot it in the head with a 12 guage shotgun. It was actually weighed on official scoles at 880 pounds.

Mtn Hunter seeing where that bear is that you shot how the heck did you get it out of there to weigh it? I have weighed several hundred bears in my life and know the difficulty in getting them out. It's why I developed that weight chart on my website for the WDFG and the WFPA when I was the wildlife manager there. That chart by the way has been adopted by several game departments as "offical" now. Finally I have left my mark on the bear hunting world. Goodness knows I would never have done it by actually killing a big bear!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)