You're correct, folks talk a lot of talk. But, if you're at a long range rifle match and ask the fellas if they can hit a rather large target at 400 yards a lot of them will reply that they can but of course you'll probably hear the same reply at a cowboy action shoot. (My money would go with the long range crowd.) Certainly depends on the place of the asking and the folks asked.

ALL

Deer season is upon us, maybe we could put the "Hit the deer" test to folks around here.

Original post stated hit a life size deer target "anywhere" from 400 yards, any position except a concrete bench (I believe any bench would be out of the question).

Let's put it to the test.

I suggest a piece of cardboard, 16" tall by 36" long. Place it horizontal at 400 yards (hang it off the ground so we don't get ground crawler round hits) and shoot 1 round. Go down and mark the target a hit or miss and then back to the line and fire a second round (just for fun). Assume the head end of the cardboard is "A", the back is "B" the tail is "C" and the belly is "D".

Post your results here. First round, hit or miss, then the inches is was from "A" and "B". Post the same for round # 2, hit or miss and again the inches from "A" and "B". We can all then plot the hits on our own target and "play along".

Post the cartridge, bullet, specifics of desired, rifle, optics/sights, position, conditions, altitude, temp, wind, whatever.

I have a few items left over from a previous "fun shoot" and I'll send a few goodies to some of the better performers or teller of tales.

I have Leupold bases, Nosler partition bullets, a few wildlife prints and some other hunting related stuff.

I'll start a new thread about it.