I couldn't agree more.

I have killed several critters past 400yds even in the days before laser rangefinders (I have two Leitz military optical rangefinders in addition to the two newer laser rangefinders). This year I have shot 3 shots at game and have killed all 3 animals from 40yds to 809yds. The 40yd shot was at a whitetail doe in Northern Idaho on thursday with my .416 Rem Mag. I finished a 28" 3x3 mulie for a buddy @ 359yds with one shot to the neck (it was neck or texas heart shot) with the same .416. And my deer at 809yds in failing light the day before a big storm was to roll in with my custom .300RUM. One thing that will make it easier for long range shooting is the use of target knobs and a drop chart. Kentucky windage should be a thing of the past for anything past 4-500. Modern calibers shoot flat enough that 400 shots should be relatively easy with hold over and a 200yd zero. Target knobs allow for exact holds and eliminate the height guestimate. The .416 I shoot wears a 3x9 Leupold that was sent back for a top knob and my .300RUM has a 6x18 that was also sent back for a top knob. Practice at all intended ranges is above all the most important thing you can do. I built both of these two guns this year and the .416 has nearly 150 rounds through it (despite shooting 1/2" groups the first load I tried) and the .300RUM has about 300 at ranges out to 1000yds (.416 to 500yds).