I've been watching this thread with considerable interest ever since it appeared and though I have responded earlier I didn't really say all I wanted to because of concern over how others would react. I practice regularly at 400 yards off cross sticks and from other field positions. I don't mean to brag at all but folks 400 yards IS NOT THAT FAR! I never even thought of that as "long range" until I started reading what others had to say in various forums like this one. Now I have missed deer a few times at ranges well under 400 but the chance I will miss the vitals of a deer sized animal at 400 yards is just about zero and I have hit a lot farther than 400. I don't read the wind well so I do limit longer shots to situations where the wind is low. Having the right equipment and practicing is the key. You have to pull the trigger on distant targets a great deal to really learn what you can and can't do. In my opinion, anyone trying to establish some arbitrary distance past which it becomes unethical for anyone to shoot is just being silly. I have encountered numerous people who for one reason or another just couldn't shoot. For them any shot at an animal past 100 yards was a shot they probably shouldn't take. Ultimately the decision to shoot or not to shoot depends upon too many varibles for anyone to generalize. I hope I'm not coming accross as bragging or arrogant because I certainly don't mean to be. I had rather take a close shot than a long one but I also want the ability to take the long one if the need arises.