I posted this story some time back about my one and only encounter ...

"Great stories all ... One of my most memorable hunting experiences happened during the fall black bear season in Montana in the 1980's. I took the day off work and went high up in the Rockies to a spot where I'd seen bear sign on previous trips. It was a swale about 300 yds across and 200 yards long right at the top of the alpine tree line. It was full of lush grass and rotted logs. The mountain was steep on either side of the swale and the only way in or out was a trail about 3 feet wide. On either side of the trail, the mountain rose sharply or dropped precipitously. I chose a spot about 75 yds down the trail from the swale for my stand.

The morning came and went with not much more than a bird or two in the swale. Just after noon, I saw movement about 200 yds away just inside the tree line. I got the Mod 70 in .270 ready. The critter left the trees and entered the meadow and I near filled my drawers ... it was a wolverine. I had never seen one in the wild and haven't seen another since, but I was very aware of their reputation for ugliness. He romped through that meadow and hit every log looking for tasty morsels. I watched in awe at this once in a lifetime experience. He continued foraging for about 20 minutes, coming closer and closer to the trail head. When he was about 10 yds from the trail head I decided that I didn't want to be on the same trail as this critter. I stood in the middle of the trail and shouted loudly while waving my hands above my head. My intent was to make him aware of my presence and send him back to the trees from where he came. To my dismay, he lowered his head while looking straight at me and began to paw the ground like a bull and vocalizing his anger. I was already in a front-kneeling ready postion when he started down the trail for me a full bore. One shot ended my danger and his life. The shot entered his open mouth and exited his right eye socket, but it did the trick. I pelted the animal, took it to the local sheriffs office and relayed the story I just told. He told me to keep the pelt as a reminder. It's still with me today."

Dave
Sticks and stones may break my bones ... but hollow-points expand on impact.