I agree, elk are tough game and require more than a 90-100 grain bullet barely making 2000 ft-lbs at the muzzle. Yes premium bullets will get the job done, but a 243 Win does not bring the best probability of success to the table. Especially when we are talking about a young hunter. The 243 Win's reputation is built on really well placed shots by really good marksman. It is a favorite when used for culling, but this activity is for the most experienced of shooters.

I started my elk hunting with a 308 Win and it is a fine cartiridge for that purpose if you know your's and the cartridge's limitations. It is plenty of gun for cow elk, which is what I dedicate it for now. For bull elk, I have gone to the 338 Win Mag over the last 10 years and the 444 Marlin, depending on conditions. The 338 Win really puts em down with 250 grain loads.

As a minimum for her, I would stress a 140 grain 6.5mm (Rem or Swede), 150 grain 7-08 Rem, but would say the 165 grain 308 Win may be the best fit of all.

We know most western states require a minimum of .23 caliber on big game. Yes the 243 Win is legal, but does that mean its prudent. Col. Townsend Whelen's standard is a pretty good one. Have 1000 ft-lbs at impact for deer and 2000 ft-lbs at impact for elk (his experience and observations led him to this). Perhaps outdated advice by todays standards from bullet design, but none-the-less, I believe it has some merit.

Consider that a 243 Win can barely make 2000 ft-lbs at the muzzle with 90-100 grain bullets. Consider also that it has 1700 ft-lbs at 100 yards, 1500 ft-lbs at 200 yards and 1250 ft-lbs at 300 yards. Now I know energy figures don't mean alot these days, however, it is a way of drawing some measure or standard of a cartridges potential on game. Forget about using optimum gain weight figures, the 243 Win on bull elk does not shine very brightly.

Maybe JJs right, some consider the anchoring of big game like elk with a 6mm an equivilant to winning the yearly Broward County Light Anglers award. Catching a 30 lbs Cobia on a 6-lbs test line is quite a feat, but then again losing a once hooked fish is nothing like losing a wounded majestic elk.