Quote:
�With the muzzle brakes out there now there's no reason to not use enough gun. I'd rather see someone use a .270 or a .308 with a brake on it and give the benefit to the elk but that's just me�

Steelyeyes, good shot placement is the most important issue regardless of caliber. You are correct; a muzzle break does allow people to shoot larger calibers without the associated discomfort of more recoil. But, I will stand firm in my belief that a break does not necessarily promote better shooting. In many ways people or more likely to flinch from excessive noise and excessive muzzle blast then they are from slightly more recoil. The point being, I think a younger shooter will shoot a 7mm-08 with 140�s or a 308 with 150, better than they will shoot a 270, 30-06 or 7mag with a muzzle break. Case and point, my 10 year nephew has been lucky enough to shoot 2 deer in the last year. The gun he prefers to shoot is his father�s kimber 84m in .308 with 150�s. He shot one of his deer with his father�s 280 that has a muzzle break and said his ears were ringing after the shot and he was afraid to shoot it again. Not to mention, he got a face full of dirt and leaves because he shot a gun with a muzzle break from the prone position. He shot the other deer with the .308 and found that gun to be much less offensive. That little 84m is pretty light and recoils a lot more than is 9 pound 280 with a muzzle break, but he will shoot the .308 better every single time because he is not anticipating the discomforting noise and muzzle blast. I have a 7mm-08 Kimber in the gun safe and my boys will not hunt big game until they are proficient with that gun. Yes, I might be able to start them sooner or possibly let them shoot a bigger gun if I added a muzzle break, but I don�t think I would be doing them any favors.

Ted