IF YOU INTEND TO HUNT DANGEROUS GAME WITH A DOUBLE RIFLE THEN DO CRIMP YOUR AMMO.

I have seen recoil jump a bullet forward and it stuck in the lands and the ejectors kicked out the case leaving powder bullet and a kynoch filler in the chamber, and the gun was non functional in a charge, fortunatly the PH and I killed the bull with a heart and brain shot respectively at the last minute when we realized what was happening. He slid to the hunters toes and push a big gob of dirt over his tennis shoes!! He couldn't even talk for 15 minutes..Said he couldn't even run..

When I load for a double rifle the first thing I do is turn down the expander ball until I have a very snug fit, I usually remove about .003 to .004 and polish it. I load all my doubles to hunt with and I always strive for a full case of powder but not to a crunch..I either use a case full of IMR-4831 as it fills most cases or I use RL-15 but you must use a filler with RL-15 to fill the case. I always trim cases in a FILE TRIM DIE, as it is the most accurate, then I add to the above a very light crimp..the combination of a a tight neck, a case full of powder to form a base for the bullet and a light crimp, gives you the best accuracy and keeps you bullet in place with repeated recoil. You always shoot one barrel more than the other btw...

I would not use Barnes monolithic bullets in a English, German double of yesterday..I would however use GS Customs flatnose solids as they have the pressure release rings around them and don't stress the barrels. I used the GS Customs flat nose solids in my Jefferys and Army-Navy doubles in 450-400...

I would use Barnes in a Searcy, or the modern equivelent..They have busted some barrels in the past, but as far as I know it was always on thin barreled, mile steel early English guns.....

I don't ever want to own a double rifle that shoots minute of buffalo or minute of grapefruit...I want my double rifle to shoot an inch at 50 yards, most will but 2 inches is acceptable. Remember you can hit a buff in the shoulder arean with any kind of double but if he is coming to eat you you want to be able to stick one in his eyeball or on the hairline of his snoot, and thats under 2 inches. Minute of grapefruit will probably miss the brain btw...The first time I read that minute of grapefruit pharse, I thought this guy has shot enough buffalo to know better than that, its cute but very misleading IMO....

Last edited by atkinson; 04/06/10.