I can pick up a brand new, kimber 8400, in either .270 wsm, or .300 wsm, OR an 84M in .338 Fed, or .308 for $1086 dollars out the door.

This rifle is going to be hunted HARD. Moose, black bear, and white tails are on the list for tags. It's going to be going up a lot of hills, and through a lot of swamps-- hence my reason for a lite weight.

It has been a long time going, looking for "the right one" and I am wondering if I should "pull the trigger" on one of these kimbers. I am very impressed by the fit an finish of these guns, however have been deterred in the past from the stories I have heard of the well known in-accuracy bug people seem to have in their kimber rifles.

So- is one of these worth it?

- What do you think the best caliber would be? Shots are no longer then 500 yards (In fields) for deer. Moose would be out of the question at that distance, however shots to 300 are definately possible.

I will be hand loading for this rifle.

The 84m's in the calibers available are right around 5 pounds- the short mags are just over 6. Still MUCH lighter then my weatherby's by 3+ pounds.

Thanks for your time, and any suggestions will be taken into consideration!

FMP