Originally Posted by jwp475

Do you actualy think that a 300 grainload producing 4700 FPE is equal to a 500 grain bullet producing the same 4700 FPE? Another great example of the uselessness FPE as an indicator of terminal performance

Yes, I do think: 4700 = 4700

Maybe you meant to ask if the lethality is the same. If so I would say it depends on what you are shooting at. For example read the doe story at the end of my post above. With a 500 grain solid the doe would likely have had a .458" diameter hole straight through it, but nothing lethal. With the fast expanding 300 HP I was able to stop the doe's heart via its butt cheek. With an elephant clearly I would want the 500 grain bullet.

Keep in mind, the 300 grain 2.85" COL was just a scenario I punched into quickload and it told me 4,700 ft-lbs was the upper limit of what it could do. I haven't actually received the gun back and chronied it, nor have I punched 400, or 500 grains into quickload either. If I wanted to match the .458 win mag with those sized bullets I would have to have a larger COL and hand-feed the rounds into the chamber.

The more I build up a tolerance to recoil, the more I need to get my fix.