Glad to see so many folks still using leverguns. I started out in the early 80s with a Spanish 8mm Mauser in full military guise since it was all I could afford. I soon saved up enough for a Marlin 336, went to Service Merchandise and found one marked down as it had been repaired. I plunked down my cash and had all but finished the paperwork when I realized it was in 35 Rem. I had never even heard of the cartridge. I took a chance and went ahead and bought it anyway. Boy am I glad I did, it is still my favorite cartridge.

I foolishly sold the 35 a couple of years later after reading too many gun rags and thinking I needed a much flatter shooting rifle. I bought a Remington 700 270. It was a great rifle, but sure did not handle like the Marlin. I have since been through dozens of rifles, but have come back full circle.

For the last decade or so a Marlin 336 or Savage 99 has been my primary deer rifle. If I think I will not have the possibility of a shot over 150 yds, I take the Marlin. It the ranges could reach out to 250 I take the Savage. I have no business shooting at anything over 250 yds from a treestand or stalking woods and field edges anyway. Most of the folks I see hunting the same areas carry long barreled bolt guns in 270, 30-06, but especially 7mm and 300 Win mag with large 50mm scopes. These guns certainly have their place, but to me they cannot compare to the good old levergun for woods hunting.

Last edited by TnBigBore; 09/24/10.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.