Originally Posted by M1Garand

Taken in the context of deer hunting I think his point was a super premium wasn't needed for deer and your results on deer could've easily been duplicated with any number of bullets costing far less. I don't recall him saying of your choice with NF's being a poor one, but something along the lines that if you thought they were needed on quartering shots...it's your money and your choice, but many others would've done the same thing. At least that's how I read it.

M1Garand �

On hunting trips, I�m the kind of guy that takes 4 tire chains and two rubber tensioners per tire, with a couple extra tensioners as spares. Many hunts I don�t need the chains at all, other years I can get by with just two. Some years I�ve been mighty glad to have all four. No regrets and I have often recommended to others to do the same. Experience has also taught me that it is better to chain up before you need to than when you are axle deep in the mud.

It is possible, even probable, my results (game quickly on the ground, not lost and no tracking) could have been duplicated, under identical circumstances, with cheap C&C bullets. It is one of those things we can never know. Hunting might be simpler if we knew in advance exactly what shot opportunities we would be presented with, but life doesn�t work that way. My preference is to use a bullet I have confidence in regardless of the range and the resulting impact velocity I might encounter. The 140g North Forks exit my 7mm RM at 3214fps. One thing I do know is I don�t want to shoot a deer with a 140g C&C at anywhere near that velocity.

JB is right � it�s my money and choice and, frankly, the cost delta between a North Fork and a C&C simply isn�t great enough for me to worry about. Many people chose C&C bullets and that�s OK by me. I use them in my lever and handguns and have recommended them more times than I can count, albeit with heavier bullets and slower loads than I typically use. JB could have had a gentleman�s discussion, no need for his name calling or repeated misrepresentations of why I choose North Forks. I use them because in my experience they work very well - not because they are relatively expensive as JB claimed, but rather in spite of that fact.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.