"Gulo,
Keep in mind that if you get a 425 or 525 grain hard cast bullet moving even at a modest speed you will have way more gun than what most people (myself included) carry on their hip in bear country" Donner

Yeah, that's what i'm gathering. There's that whole thing about more velocity leading to less penetration. Big, hard bullets and medium loads may well be the way to go, then.

RE: Ruger #1 - i'd love to have one, in a varmint calibre. They are beautiful guns, one of the few unmistakable designs - their aesthetic reminds me of the 99 Savage somehow. For dangerous stuff, i think i'll stick to my repeater. Not sure it would be a good idea to go after dangerous game with a single-shot, unless you've got backup you can trust - I suppose most do.

Anyway, lots of great info in here to get me started - I appreciate all the perspectives, thanks!

Last edited by gulo; 01/24/11.

From a race of hunters, artists, warriors, and tamers of horses, we degraded ourselves to what we are now: clerks, functionaries, laborers, entertainers, processors of information.
� Edward Abbey