The 336 "concept" Marlin is primarily designed for deer hunting. The evolutionary expansion into .458 caliber rounds has not included upgrades in stock design or recoil pads which means that the Marlin 1895's and variants, recoil to uncomfortable levels when you use heavy loads.

I have a very soft spot for Marlin .45/70's. I have tested and reviewed up to 3 at a time and probably more than a dozen since the early 70's when re-released. They were consistently very good rifles with accuracy that was routinely around .5 MOA at 50 yards with factory open sights.

But....Once you step into the world of dangerous game rifles, there are options for little more money that are more specialized both for the game and the mitigation of recoil, which translates into controlability.

I have loaded and shot animals with 500gn Hornady Roundnose bullets in the .45/70. The won't feed or extract as loaded rounds, being too long for the action, but they slip into the chamber easily because of the long throat and shoot quite accurately for cull work inside 150 yards.

It may be ok to build loads for fun, but a dangerous game hunt means the animal has an opportunity and liklihood (albiet no matter how small) of hurting you.

I recommend you choose wisely and for the right reasons.

John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.