If you want to PM me the make, model, and serial # of the gun along with the state it was bought from. I'll check on it to see if it's stolen or not. I think the whole thing sounds like a scam. If it were reported stolen and it was transferred through your FFL then you would have already been contacted by the police and most likely by the local police face to face. You should be in no trouble and don't strip the gun and get yourself into trouble.. I don't think you need an attorney asyou can show where it came from, some states (NY included) have laws similar to Criminal possession of stolen property. That would be if you knowingly possessed stolen property. At this point in time I would suspect you do not know it is stolen, just told that by someone that is not verified.
Seems to me like a good way to make 500 bucks to sell the gun and have a friend pose as a LEO and ask you to ship it to them...face to face only on that deal with LEO.
Me- Police Investigator, 18 years. I handle most firearm related crimes in my department.. I'm not going to call your local PD to jack you up if it does turn out to be stolen but hopefully I would be able to help you through the process so you wouldn't need to spend any money on an attorney- easy to do. If you want to PM me your # and a good time to call I would talk to you about it. Not every cop is an a-hole but you can run into them for sure, same as you can run into a-holes in any profession.
I'm suspicious about this whole deal and not convinced it's actually stolen..