Originally Posted by plattski
I recently upgraded my elk rifle from an old Sako .30-06 (built in the late 50s so a little my senior) to a Ruger 77 Mark II stainless in .338 Win Mag. The Sako (nicknamed "Rusty" after this year's elk season) has been a good performer and accounted for a number of elk but after some serious weather abuse last fall I decided to go to a stainless/synthetic rifle and took the opportunity to move up in caliber for a little more authority.

I've been very happy shooting 168 TSX and want to stick with Barnes, but I'm thinking about going with TTSX for the new Ruger and am leaning toward 225 gr. Anyone use these and what do you think compared with TSX? I've also considered the 210 gr. TTSX for a little more speed but the 225 should mimic my .30-06 ballistics pretty well. I don't expect to be shooting over 300 yards and mostly under 100 based on the terrain where I hunt.

The .338 combined with close quarters and my generally good shot placement should be much more decisive in killing elk - at least that is my hope. Gotta find 'em first! Thanks for any advice anyone may care to offer. Also any good load suggestions would be much appreciated.

The 338 win mag is bad medicine for any elk with just about any bullet on the market. I know you want to use barnes, but the el-cheapo ($20.00/box of 50) 250 gr. sierra gameking does wonders too. Let your rifle tell you what it likes. For me my Ruger m77's always give thumbs up to the sierra:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Even my buddies Ruger M77 MKII 338 win mag liked this load:
[Linked Image]

His shoulder didn't like it though as you can see from his group after I dialed it in for him blush
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I know I'm an azz cry whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA