I think it pays to pay attention to bullet construction and the potential velocity with that bullet,rather than get locked into a particular weight,which may have had some validity back when all bullets were CC,but the game changes when we look at stuff like an X,an Aframe,TBBC, etc......

Some say why use a 200 gr in the 338 when you could use a 250;but start a 200 gr BBC, or 210 X or others of that type at 2900-3000 fps and you will have more frontal area and weight retention than the CC 250,or even a Partition,and as much penetration as needed;I have seen examples of this more than once and not just with the 200 gr BBC but other calibers as well..

..for this reason I see no issues with using a 200 gr BBC(or something similar)in the 338....if I still had some 200 gr BBC's in 338, I might even still be a 338 shooter. smile..they would certainly be my first choice over anything else out there in 338 today.

.....and "no" my view is not that weight retention in itself,is an indicator,of killing power...it merely demonstrates the bullet had the integrity to do its' work instead of dissipating and destroying itself along the way, which maybe is of some benefit for lighter game but I fail to see the value on heavy animals.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.