We're all different to varying degrees, and what is favored as compact and light by one may be thought of as bulky by another.

I personally find the 2.5-8x36 LEU about as big of a scope as I care to go on a lightweight big game rifle. I find the 3.5-10x40 LEU on the bulky side for the same rifle. I do like the 2-7X33 LEU in some ways over the 2.5-8X36 as it is a bit more compact, has a good eye box, and it gives just a touch more tube length. I've always been in the camp that looks at a scope as a gun sight, and not as an observation piece to replace binos and spotters. In that context, all three of these scopes work for me to resolve an aiming point on game during legal daytime hunting hours.

If I'm in want of better low light performance, I prefer a fixed 4x or 6x LEU, which also tend to be a better fit on a good handling lightweight big game rifle. Though the larger variables work well on standard sporter weight rifles, I find that they spoil the handling of light rifles.

But all of this is just me, as I've run across others who gladly run bulky optics on otherwise extremely lightweight big game hunting rigs. So, what is the bane of one, may be the joy of another.

If you've run a number of rifles with the 2.5-8x36, then you already know that one of its weak points is the very short mounting tube length. No big deal on some rifles and mount combos, but it can be a big deal on others.

Best smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood