OK, here is the Problem. Raider has strong nose, will search till cows come & smell out whatever. When he gets planted birds he zones in & right up to them, "flash point" because he has crowded them too close, they wont hold. He is usually so close (if they don't immediately fly)they move & in he goes.

So how do you get him to slow up & actually point before he crowds them. I have no doubt he will figure it out once we start hunting on live birds. Saw it last year as a 8 month old pup. Would point hard quail, track & crowd pheasants some tmes. Chaulked that up to pheasants, never had heavy snow & cold to get them to hold tight. That would have been a dream in helping him figure it out.

I have been using check cord with pinch collar but as you walk up he is just uninterested till you get about 3' away & then he gets serious. Walk him cross wind so not driving him directly into the scent cone. At about 10' you can see him smell the planted pigeon, look at you, Like yeah there it is, & keep walking. If you get him close enough (5')to get intrerested he will look at them kind of flat footed.

Little too close (3')he gets intensity level up, leans into the lead. Each time he gets interested I stroke him down side, push slightly on butt, which makes him push back. THen I pick him up physically & carry him feet feet away telling him Good Dog. Will do this excercise & stand for about 2 times at 5' then 3rd time he wants to launch in gets to lunging, barking at the bird. Hold him back. He has never been allowed or caught a bird.

Have a test coming with planted bird field.

Your thoughts are apreciated.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from any direction. - Billy the Kid.

Democracy is two wolves & a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
- Benjamin Franklin