Yes, that is the jest of it. I don't make the rules. I hear what you are saying, great dog, poor trainer, out of the breeding pool. You can pass this test & still not be certified to breed if the dog has genetic problems.

It is surprising how many will buy a Drathaar & not even attempt to test them, it does take a lot of work. But then that is with all dogs, it does take work to teach/train any dog to be a good/great dog. If you got one otherwise you were just lucky, real lucky or don't ask a lot of them.

I do it because I want him breed certified & even if I don't make it I will have a well trained dog, more then a lot of dogs that we see in the fields, the how many get out of the kennel opening day, kind of thing.

I also do it to help my breeder see what she is putting on the ground & she lives close enough to help in training, again she wants to see her dogs perform. This is my 2nd dog in 20 years so it's not like she is making a fortune off me. There are breeders that are serious about forwarding their breed.

My dog is not cross registered. I do however, really beilieve thier testing & more so selective breeding of HD Free & dogs that don't have genetic issues has made a better dog. We all know how the indescriment breeding of Labs & Goldens with hip problems has caused the continuation of problems with hips. I know there are breeders who test eyes, hips, etc but there are a lot who don't. I feel it betters my chances of getting a good dog, & seriously I just like them & how they fit the hunting I do.

Yes DNA wise they are identical to Wirehairs, but to the die hards thems fighting words.

I started with this breed 20 years ago, after reading an article that showed what they could do & thought if the can make them do that I surely can make him hunt upland birds.

My first one was a great dog, did fur, feather, water work. Would blood track (illegal to use dogs in KS. for that). This one has the makings of being even better than the 1st.

Like I said pay your money, take your chances.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from any direction. - Billy the Kid.

Democracy is two wolves & a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
- Benjamin Franklin