Couple of things. When nicing the dog to take the chase out, let the chase get started good befor you nic him. You don't want to risk him associating the nic with the bird. You could get him blinking that way. For rabbits and other off game, nic immediately. Then you do want him to associate the nic with the game.

I know just a little less than nothing about NAVDA. I'm not sure why this test is so important but, I can tell you what will probably happen. He's gonna fail. You already know that. Big rule of mine, never ever set your dog up to fail. Whatever may happen, it won't be the end of the world. If you go and he fails your out a test fee plus you set him back just a bit more but putting him in a situation you believe he's gonna bust, don't do that. If you go and he doesn't fail he will probably score very low and it will set him back a bit more. Bottom line you know going in this is a bad situation. Of course you may have some kind of agreement with the breeder? I wish I kenw more about this type of testing and could help more but I sure don't. If your near Manhatten, Kansas I might be able to get a couple guys that could help you out.